Friday, October 23, 2009

A Tree Blows in Decatur

If a tree falls across your driveway overnight and there's no one to hear it, does it make any noise?

Well, it certainly does the following morning. I had another topic in mind to share with you today, but the wild-eyed looks of excitement on the faces of Emma and Madison quickly convinced me that more pressing matters were at hand.

"The tree! Look at the tree!" they wailed in unison.

Well, it was something to see, all right. (That's my mother-in-law, Neena, and our new puppy Sophie surveying nature's revenge.)

Thank the good Lord no cars were damaged (we have four around the house now on a regular basis), nor the brand-new bedroom addition that was just completed for Karen and me. But a single tree branch threw our entire day into a tizzy. Who's going to drive the girls to school? Who's going to move who's car? What about Neena's trip to the doctor this morning? How are we going to cut this monster branch down to size? And what are we going to do with all this WOOD?

Much to my amazement, my father-in-law, Larry, a rugged "man's man" kind of guy if ever I've met one, does not own a chain saw. He's working the phones today, trying to find one he can beg, borrow or rent.

John Lennon has been receiving a lot of credit lately for having once said, "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." I don't know if he said it or not, but it surely does ring true today. My plans have been instantly reordered by forces much greater than you or I.

And watch for our huge blowout sale on firewood, coming soon.

No comments: