Thursday, December 3, 2009

Port of Entry

Yesterday we discovered the impressive list of health dangers – up to and including death – associated with peritoneal dialysis (PD), my chosen method for future kidney treatments. But I neglected to show you the results of the operation that will make PD possible in the first place. Maybe I unconsciously channeled my old ad agency experience and waited an extra day to heighten excitement for the big "reveal"!

At any rate, before my training session could begin at the DaVita dialysis center in Decatur, the surgically-created new hole in my belly had to be inspected, cleaned, sterilized and have its dressings changed. (Beware: the following images may not be recommended for the faint of stomach.)

First, the dressings applied during my outpatient surgery on Nov. 24 had to be removed:



There had been some seepage after the procedure during the healing process. Notice the dried blood at the point of incision. (Also note how ashy my stomach had become after a week of being covered by the clear plastic tape that held the gauze in place!)

Once DaVita nurse counselor Diane King took the old dressings away and cleaned the area around the incision, you could clearly see the dialysis port.



See how the tube was inserted in the midsection cleanly – Diane confirmed that my surgeon, Carle Hospital chief of interventional radiology Dr. Michael Neuwirth, is one of the best in the region at this procedure – then burrowed about an inch under my skin before being inserted into the peritoneal lining of my abdomen.

After being cleaned, the site was ready to accept its first dialysis test run to see if the solution that's used for the PD process would flow in and out of my tube smoothly.

Diane set out the materials she needed for the dialysis run-through, including the 2500cc bag of fluid that would eventually find its way into my body, then drain out again.





She disinfected her worktable two times with bleach water, scrubbed her hands for 45 seconds with antibacterial soap, switched latex gloves at least three times and placed masks on everyone in the room to reduce airborne contamination before she began the procedure. All this for the run-through? Hokey Pete! I don't know how you would react, but I was getting plenty nervous and creeped out.

She affixed what's called a transfer set to the end of my tube; that's the attachment that actually hooks to the tubes coming out of the fluid bag. The whole process of filtering the solution into my body takes no more than 10-15 minutes. Then the idea is to keep the solution inside my body for at least two hours at a time (that's called letting the solution "dwell"), draining it out and repeating the process four times a day. Eventually, after I master this manual technique, I can upgrade to a "cycler," a bulky but portable machine that will accomplish the same function overnight when I attach my transfer set to it.

So much to learn, so many precautions to take, so many details. It's all very overwhelming. We will have at least three training sessions of 4-5 hours each, then a home visit by Diane as my final exam, before being allowed to do the manual PD treatments by myself.

We all can rise to challenges as they're presented to us, no matter how great. That's what being human is all about. But I'd be lying if I told you I'm looking forward to this one.

1 comment:

Janice Colman said...

I'm not sure what the reasons for this test may be; what lessons you have yet to learn, and why this is the chosen way for you to attain such wisdom.

All I know is you are a valuable human being who must be kept alive and vital for many more decades, with or without clunky add-ons/procedures.

Someone is hell-bent on keeping you around - so you know you must be a fine soul, memorable writer, a man with more to accomplish in his time here (artistically and in the realm of humanism - what's that stuff about fallen angels, and maybe this is what happens to them as they go about being angelic, albeit fallen).

But the truth is, I worry for you. In my mind (possibly not in yours or Karen's), I am an old friend whose heart is always on your side.

I send apologies to Karen for my overzealous searches - I had to make sure Jim had chosen a suitable mate (and you, Karen, certainly defy imagination in the sweetest and most invigorating sense).

I'm grateful as must be many others to be kept in ze loop via your blog, and I know how taxing and somewhat relieving (no pun intended) it must be to maintain a blog (with photos!)at these times.

With appreciation for both of you,
Janice