Saturday, December 12, 2009

The 1.5, 2.5 and 4.25 Percent Solutions

Earlier this week – even earlier than promised, actually, and how often does that happen these days? – a blue-and-white Baxter delivery truck about the length of Toledo pulled up in front of our little house on the prairie and dropped off my first supply of "Dianeal, Low Calcium, Peritoneal Dialysis Solution with 1.5% Dextrose" (let's just call that PDS for short) I'll be using for my manual daily dialysis exchanges that begin this month.


Baxter, I'm sure you don't know, is "a worldwide leader in providing lifesaving products and services for patients who suffer from kidney failure." I know this because Baxter told me so on its self-produced instructional video, "Going Home With Confidence." The Baxter delivery driver could not have been friendlier or more informative, which is important when some burly trucker you've never seen before wheels into your house with 13 cases of sugar-water-in-a-bag.


(The video says to make sure you check the driver's identification before letting him into your home; I think an 80-foot tractor trailer pulling up to your front door with "BAXTER" emblazoned across the side would be a pretty strong hint that the guy's legit.)


And yes, I said 13 cases of solution – which, since my dialysis cycle is beginning in the middle of a month, is only a partial shipment! The driver told me a typical delivery in months to come should average as many as 30 cases! Thankfully, we have a small nook just inside our front door and next to the fireplace that I cleared out beforehand to make room. But imagine trying to find space in your place to accommodate 30 new packing boxes of anything.





                   What 13 cases of dialysis solution looks like in a corner.


Each case contains a half-dozen bags of fluid, 2,000 millileters apiece, about the length of a football and as heavy as a half-gallon of milk. Every bag is encased in a larger plastic bag for protection and includes its own pair of connecting tubes (one for fluid in, one for fluid out) and drainage bag for the liquid's final resting place. It's a modern miracle of in-home medical technology.


Not all the bags are mixed with 1.5 percent dextrose. Some have 2.5 percent, others as high as 4.25 percent. My nephrologist, Dr. Attia, will determine which concentration is best for me as my condition changes. As the manual exchange program calls for pouring in and draining out four of these puppies a day, the supply is likely to disappear quickly.



                                     The bag inside the bag.


Here's the kicker for me: the DaVita office arranged for the first home delivery, but I have to schedule every subsequent shipment myself. That will mean calling Baxter at least two weeks before I need supplies, making an order and keeping a running inventory so I know what I have in stock and what I need to request. Any lawyer, accountant or tax preparer I've ever had in my life is laughing uncontrollably right now over the idea of me keeping accurate records of anything.


I think the empty bag isn't the only thing that will be draining.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, here's a playlist for you:
http://blip.fm/TorontoWriter - something to listen to when . . .
(I despise ellipses - they are truly the lazy writer's way out. But this being Sunday . . . )

Anonymous said...

I have tons of this stuff that a doctor left behind when he moved out. By the weight of it alone I would guess that I have about 1700 pounds of the dianeal low calcium peritoneal dialysis solution. Anyone want to buy it? I will sell it for 25% of regular price...
prattmattison@comcast.net
pratt 404 455-6971

Michelle said...

Have you been Turned down by relatives due to your financial problems? Do you need money to complete your education and don't really know how to go about it, why not think closely and consider selling one kidney to achieve your goal in life. I understand kidney transplantation is not legal in India but due to our patients who face a lifetime of dialysis unless they undergo kidney transplant in our Govt Approved registered Hospital needs kidney donors only in India and with Valid Identification Card are required as urgent issue to help save 3 Families in need of kidney transplantation and you will be rewarded handsomely. Feel free to contact us on Whatsaap for further information. Please don't call, only Whatsaap - +91-80507-736-51 or contact us through our website for more information about our hospital at davegrayhospital.weebly.com ~Remember life is precious why not help your Neighbor as yourself, be the change help safe this lives~ .

Dr. Avijit Sekhar
davegrayhospital1@gmail.com
+91-7760020981

Dr Mark Alex said...

Kidney donor needed urgently, My client is urgently in need of a kidney transplant, If interested to sell contact here on my what'sApp number +4915219253693 Or Email: kidneydeal@gmail.com