Friday, December 18, 2009

I'm Beautiful, Inside and Out

Recently Karen and I returned to Carle Hospital in Urbana, IL, for a followup visit with Dr. Michael Neuwirth, the brilliant surgeon who performed the catheter insertion for my dialysis. I know he must be brilliant because every health care professional I've met with since the operation – and I've met with a mess of 'em – refers to him and his work in hushed tones of reverence. That makes for one contented patient.

Actually, I didn't meet with Dr. Neuwirth in person (brilliant people are often busy, too), but with his physician's assistant, who asked to remain nameless here for professional reasons. Henceforth we will call her Unidentified Physician's Assistant, or UPA, which is not to be confused with "Yooper," the slang term for a native of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Which, as it just so happened, is where the UPA was from.

The UPA was extremely pleased to see that, as she told us, my surgical wound showed no evidence of dehiscence, which from this point on will be our Word for the Day.

(de • his • cence, (de-HISS-cents), n.: a bursting or splitting along natural or sutured lines; a splitting open. Separation of the layers of a surgical wound. "We may have to suture him again, Al; the blood indicates his incision is showing signs of dehiscence.")

She didn't stop there, however. UPA went on to gush over how beautifully the edges of the incision were coming together, and that the healing process looked "awesome." By my count, she used the word "beautiful" or a variation seven times during our brief visit, along with "awesome," "perfect" and "excellent" once each.

Well, let me tell you, it's been a very long time since any person of the female persuasion looked at me and said "beautiful" that many times, even if it was in regards to the two-inch slit in my belly.

Leaving the hospital that day, I kept hearing the voice of Natalie Wood in West Side Story sounding in my head: "I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty...." UPA made me so proud, I could have just dehissed.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I chuckled when I read this. As a nurse myself we find joy in many things, beautiful incisions, awesome breath sounds, and the ever popular repeated many times a day.....please tell us as soon as you pass gas.....nurses get extremly excited about your gas or the lack of;)
May you have many more such visits with medical staff and a very very Merry Christmas!!!!!! and do not forget to the pass Gas!
Nancy- http://birdladyfly.blogspot.com