Wednesday, October 5, 2011

On the Kidney Kampaign

Just finished a big week on the kidney beat. On Tuesday I was in Waukegan, Ill., home of Baxter Healthcare, where I sit on the company's Patient Advisory Committee team (PACt), to attend one of our quarterly meetings. Then, as luck and good scheduling would have it, on Thursday I stopped in Chicago while on my way home to Champaign to make a presentation to the board of directors for the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois (NKFI).

Even more good timing: Karen, my angel of mercy, happened to have business in Chicago at the same time. So we used the once-grand, now-scruffy Blackstone Hotel in the Loop as our home base for the week. It even allowed Karen the opportunity to join me for the NKFI appearance.

At the Baxter confab, representatives from the company's various renal divisions come to our committee (numbering about 20 on this occasion) to get our reaction to proposed new products, changes to existing products, and to pick our brains about how we use Baxter's goods in the real world. These are scientists, corporate doctors and manufacturers who almost never come in contact with an actual breathing patient.

I've been sworn to secrecy about revealing details from these sessions under threat of slow, lingering death. The Baxter PR honchos get quite skittish knowing there's a former journalist in the room who has a blog read by people concerned with kidney matters. But I think I've been pretty good about keeping their confidences so far.

So far.

In this get-together we met Dr. Cory Sise, a nephrologist and leader on Baxter's medical team, who had her worst fear confirmed by the PACt people: Those product information sheets she and her people spend hours revising and rewording so they're completely accurate and useful?

Nobody reads them.

For me, the keenest insights from these meetings come not from the Baxter executives but from my fellow patients. On this trip, I learned that some people, in order to warm their bags of manual dialysis solution before inserting the fluid into their abdomens, actually stick the bags in the microwave! Yow! I guess if it starts boiling, you should take it out, eh?

The recommended method is to lay the bags on a heating pad so that they warm slowly and thoroughly. Problem is, if you forget and leave them on too long, it can have the same effect as nuking them. Imagine molten lava roaring through a catheter and filling your innards. Burn, baby, burn.

Hearing the other patients' startling admissions prompted me to confess my own preferred means of bag warming: hot water. I go to the bathroom, fill the sink and submerge the bag for three minutes or so. Slow, even warmth. I've learned over the years that the dialysis solution doesn't need to be piping hot; it just needs to be warmer than I am. Inserting liquid inside you that's too cold can be just as painful as solution that's scorching: Yow!

I was afraid to tell any health care professional about the hot water before, for fear they wouldn't approve. These meetings can be so liberating!

The NKFI board of directors retreat (no campfire songs or s'mores, much to my chagrin) was staged in the magnificent Merchandise Mart, and I was invited to give my first-person saga of living with chronic kidney disease and dialysis. Many thanks to Kate O'Connor, CEO of the Foundation, for extending the invitation, and to communications director Anne Black for her gracious assistance on site.

This is a song-and-dance I've performed many times before, as you know, and that might have been the problem. I was not as good as I should have been with my presentation. I'm my own worst critic, of course, but I felt I've been much better in past appearances. However, I learned two important things from the experience.

One, even though it's my own story and I've told it countless times, there is no substitute for rehearsal. ("Excuse me, sir, how do I get to Carnegie Hall from here?" the tourist asked. "Practice, practice, practice," the native replied.) Because I was pulled out of the Baxter PACt meeting briefly Tuesday to share my dialysis "testimony" with new sales reps, I thought that single run-through would be sufficient. It wasn't. I didn't have a clear Point A-to-Point B monologue, and I don't think I articulated it well.

I was delighted that the first followup question in the Q&A portion of my presentation went to Karen. But I think that speaks volumes as to how effective I was that day.

I think I also may have had an internal distraction. The gentleman who preceded me at the NKFI retreat, Baxter renal economic consultant Joe Connor, gave a very long and complex fiscal analysis filled with PowerPoint charts and graphs. It elicited numerous questions from the board members, and it was impossible to judge how long his Q&A session might last.

That was a dilemma, because I had to go to the bathroom! And I was certain that the moment I slipped out to find one, Connor would end his remarks and I would be MIA. So I stayed in my seat, my knees locked tight. I have no doubt my bladder predicament affected my concentration.

So that's the second thing I learned on this journey: When you're getting ready to speak in public and your nerves are running high, go potty before you really need to!

Yow!




 

1 comment:

Joan said...

Warming solution in the microwave- Baxter MUST share the do's and don't with facilities that assist patients with dialysis treatment. Without the proper training, patients are at risk.

Thank you, Jimmie Mac, for sharing!

Blessings to you,
Joan