Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Kidney Call Comes

I wasn't ready.

My best friend since kindergarten, Walker Parmelee, told me not long ago that no one is ever ready when the call comes that potentially could change the rest of your life. It's like the Bible says in Matthew 25, "Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour...."

Our day was Sunday, June 19. Father's Day. Four days after my 5*th birthday. The same week the State of Illinois was ordered to extend, rather than totally revise, existing health care benefits for its employees – including Karen, whose medical coverage I am under. I should have known this would be the time God might choose.

The hour was 2:30 p.m., after Karen and I had returned home from church at Harvest Bible Chapel. Ironically, my phone rang just as I was sitting down to a delightful home-cooked lunch, and I opted to let it go to voicemail.

Moments later, it rang again. Now I'm getting a bit peevish. "Which one of my idiot friends can't figure out that if I don't pick up the phone, I don't want to talk right now?" I carped, my thoughts in the form of a mutter.

The ringing eventually ended on that call, too. Then Karen's cell phone sprang to life. She at least had the motivation to get up and look at the number.

"Do we know anyone in the 314 area code?" she asked.

"That's St. Louis," I said. Home of Barnes-Jewish Hospital, my kidney transplant headquarters.


My blood ran cold.

She put the phone on speaker and we talked to a very nice transplant coordinator named Trish. She said a potential kidney donor match had been located for me: a 54-year-old woman (whoo-HOO! Younger than me!) who died within the past 24 hours and is a solid blood and tissue match.

That's the way it often is in the transplant biz, tragically. Someone's got to die for the gift of life to be bestowed.

The hangup in this case: no one knows anything about the lady's medical history.

Surgeons will perform a biopsy on the kidney to see if there's anything wrong with it internally, but until the results of that test come back and doctors are satisfied that it's damage- and disease-free, we're in a bit of limbo. What's more, because of the questionable origin of the organ, I'm told I can say "No, I don't think so" right until they wheel me into the OR without penalty of losing my place on the donor list.

Pressure? What pressure?

It isn't that I'm not thrilled about the prospect of a kidney transplant, although on the three-hour drive to St. Louis I could feel myself growing quiet and sullen. The closer we got to the Gateway Arch, the harder it was for me to catch my breath. At one point I thought I was hyperventilating.

It's hard to explain. As much as I try to put my faith in God for all things, I think it was just the fear of the unknown that was sending my mind into the funk tank. I'm doing all right on Peritoneal Dialysis – better than all right, actually, I'm doing great – and even though I may not stay that way forever and a transplant is far and away the best alternative long term, I always have had a very tough time adjusting to change.

It's amazing to me how many questions and "what ifs," serious and silly, come to mind at a time like this:

What if there are complications in the surgery?

What if my body rejects this lady's little kidney?

Will I miss dialysis?

What will I do with all that extra time and medical supplies once I'm off dialysis?

How will I respond to the anti-rejection drugs?

Will I ever be able to eat sushi, or raw anything, again for fear of infection?

Will I have to wear a mask in public?

You can drive yourself cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs if you let your mind run free with all those "what ifs." Enough already. I'm much calmer now. Once we got to the hospital, got checked in and they started running diagnostic tests on me, I felt much better. Whatever's going to happen now is going to happen. It never was in my hands in the first place.

Right after my EKG was completed, out of the blue, a member of the church I belong to 180 miles away strolled into my hospital room. Dick Elder's wife, Kathy, is also a patient in this massive medical complex – and, as it turns out, in the room one floor above mine.

Small world, schmall world: you'll never convince me that's a coincidence.

Then the hospital technician, as she was drawing my blood, suddenly began softly praying aloud for my health and safety. "If it's for you, it's going to happen," she said, laying a hand on my wrist. "The Lord knows what's best for you. We ask you, dear Lord, to put this man's health in your hands."

Powerful stuff, this kidney transplant. Amen.

No comments: