Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Just Kidneying – For Real

The chief transplant surgeon swept into my room at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, seemingly pulling the entire medical staff of the hospital behind him. lnterns, his surgical team, associates, student fellows – it was the "white coat swarm" that my nurse, Renee, warned me would be coming into my room to stare at me for a while.

But they were more than an hour late in their appointed rounds, which should have told me something.

The surgeon fixed his eyes and set his jaw. "I'm afraid it's bad news," he said solemnly.

Another doctor proceeded to give us the details: the kidney that had been designated for me, the one that prompted Karen and me to toss our clothes in a bag and race 200 miles to St. Louis at a moment's notice on a Sunday afternoon, the one that kept me overnight in a hospital though I wasn't sick, the one that necessitated a chest X-ray, EKG, blood screenings and a battery of other tests to make sure I was healthy enough to receive it – that kidney wasn't coming.

In keeping with the arcane rules and protocols of organ donation, at the last nanosecond another hospital in the region stepped up to claim the kidney for a patient whose condition was far more dire than mine. The doctor said a lot of other things, most of them apologetic, but I became lost in my own thoughts after that. The next thing I remember hearing was the chief surgeon saying, "You can get dressed now," before the swarm drifted back out of my room.

That's it. False alarm. So sorry. Just kidneying.

How ironic.

I was disappointed, of course, and very weary after a night of being poked, prodded and roused from my sleep every few hours on those wonderful hospital beds. The drive back from St. Louis seemed to take days. But I was neither upset nor discouraged. This revived relationship I have with Jesus Christ has given me an amazing sense of calm in matters such as these. It must be what the Bible means by "peace that passes all understanding." God knew this wasn't the right kidney for me, even though all the outward signs suggested it. When the perfect organ for me comes around, He will handle all the paperwork. God is in complete control.

What this experience showed me was the incredible fragility of this organ donation process. If an organ becomes available and if it's undamaged; if it's an acceptable blood and tissue match; if the potential recipient can get to the hospital in time; if he or she doesn't have a low-grade fever, undetected infection or some other physical impediment to surgery. Even then, there are no guarantees the transplant will actually take place. So many things have to go exactly right. It's a life lottery.


What saddens me most is not that I missed out on the transplant. It's that so many other people, who had offered up so many prayers, positive thoughts and good wishes, seemed more disappointed than I was. I'm told my father-in-law cried openly when he heard a matching kidney had been found. Larry is my personal version of John Wayne; he's not a cry-at-the-drop-of-a-puppy kind of guy.


My wife's BFF took the day off from work and drove to St. Louis to be at the bedside with Karen. My in-laws showed up to lend their support, bringing the twins with them. Madison, who really is becoming a talented young artist, used the trip to create paintings to adorn my hospital room, including one with a Bible verse she selected herself. We taped it to the front door of my room.

The passage is from Psalms 73. It reads, "My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; He is mine forever."

My pastor, Tony Caffey, and his wife, Sanja, drove in from distant Arthur, Ill., arriving about 90 seconds after we heard the unfortunate news. The gang truly was all here, and ready to rejoice. Their joy, alas, was short-circuited. So we all gathered in a circle and prayed instead.

So many of you put forward so much love, prayer and support on my behalf, I could actually feel it in my room at Barnes-Jewish. It's a phenomenal feeling to be cared about that deeply. Thank you. Thank you so very much.

The good news is, this call means I am at the top of the transplant list. I was told there have been instances where patients have been called in four or five times before they actually receive the transplant. (Oh, Lord, tell me that's not going to happen!)

I'm going to keep praying. You keep praying, too. Together we'll get through all this. And someday, after I've had a healthy replacement kidney for years and am doing better than any of us thought possible, we'll look back on these days and laughhhhh.

4 comments:

Frank Zerilli said...

Hey Jim. Sorry to read about your dissapointing hospital visit. It's just a fact of life that nothing is ever to easy. So hurry up and wait would ya.
You sound like a man that has many blessings in his life and I am truly happy for you. I think of you often and miss our conversations. We will have to talk soon. Hang in there. Frank from Shoreline.

Diane L Riley said...

So sorry to hear about your disappointment, but thank you for your grace during what I already know is a mixed blessing time. I too missed out on my first kidney. I had come to Kansas to visit my family, so I let the transplant team know I was out of town. They were not supposed to contact me. Guess what? I lost service on my phone for two days and when it returned, there was a message that they had a kidney for me and to get my butt to the hospital. I of course called them and they apologized profusely. In the meantime, someone else got the blessing of a healthy kidney. I just thanked God that someone was on the next phase of their journey. I then got another call on August 1, 2008, and the next morning I had a transplant, felt wonderful, but was saddened to learn that my kidney was from a 5 year old little boy that had died from an accident. I cried and cried for the family of the little boy, and praised God for the Blessing. You too will get your special kidney...in the meantime you continue to be an inspiration to many people waiting. Bless you Jim, and your family...keep us posted. PS this August I will celebrate my "third" birthday...Thank YOU GOD! Diane L Riley Kansas

Mike in A2 said...

Jim,
Hopefully your new kidney will come soon and with your positive attitude, it will be a success.
(and it is good to read a blog produced by someone with a flair for writing. Ever think of critiquing radio and tv folk. Oh, wait. Been there, etc.)
Cheers!
Mike O'Neill

Lakergirl3000 said...

Your blog leaves me with mixed emotions. Joyful that your trust is in the Lord, HE is the almighty healer!!But it also brings me a sadness, my husband suffers from poly cysitic kidney disease. His mother, grandmother and auntie have all passed due to this disease. He hasnt had alot of trouble with it thus far, Praise God! But I do worry that just one doctor visit could change our entire way of life. My trust is in the Lord, I can do (and survive) all things through Him who gives me strength. I have added you to my prayer list, you can never have too many people praying for you!
God bless!
Cheri