Tuesday, July 2, 2013

EVERYTHING You Wanted to Know About Transplants – But Didn't Know You Wanted to Ask

Most people know that the wonderful comedian George Lopez received a kidney transplant in 2005, and got the donor organ from his wife, Ann. But did you know he wanted absolutely no part of becoming what he calls "the poster boy for kidney disease?"

George Lopez (Gavin Bond/TBS)
"I just wanted to get in, get out and get on with my life," Lopez admits. "But...I decided that I could not turn my back on the message of organ donation, of prevention, and of taking an interest in your health and the health of your family."

What changed his mind? I found out – and you can, too – in the weekend edition of USA Today last week, which featured a Media Planet section entirely devoted to issues surrounding organ transplantation in America.

Beyond what's billed as Lopez's first-ever interview about his transplant, there are stories on:

• How medical and technological advancements are helping to lessen the time spent on the waiting list for a replacement organ;

• A discussion on the future of transplantation with three celebrated medical experts;

• An article on the financial burdens and realities following an organ transplant;

• A first-person feature on snowboarder Chris Klug, who continued to excel at his sport despite a liver transplant, and much more.

It's a truly impressive – and unexpected – collection of stories regarding one of the topics nearest to my heart. (Or more accurately, my kidney.)

Among the things I think I already knew but are always worth repeating are:

• More than 118,000 Americans are waiting for an organ transplant right now;

• Many of them will wait five years or more for the opportunity to receive a replacement organ;

• Thousands of them will die every year as the gap between the need for organs and the number of organs available continues to widen.

And something I didn't know: 40 percent of all transplanted lungs are rejected.

Yow.

This section from Media Planet, an independent content provider, is really worth diving into if you want to know more about the present and future of transplantation. I'm so glad "Sidney Kidney" turned me on to it. (If you don't know, I can't help you.)

You can read the section HERE.

No comments: