Monday, June 18, 2012

Walkin' It Like I Talk It

As a lifelong Detroit Lions fan (yes, I knew true suffering long before contracting kidney disease) I never dreamed I'd ever write these words, but I can't wait to set foot on the green grass of Chicago's Soldier Field this Sunday.

EXTREMELY busy week for my alter ego as Kid Kidney. First, on Thursday, I'll be up north in Deerfield, Ill., at the headquarters of the healthcare giant that manufactured my dialysis supplies. (I dare not ever whisper their name on these pages again; I won't bore you with the details except to say, there are lawyers circling in cyberspace.)

I'm delighted to lend my in-person support and say a few syllables at the kickoff event for the company's African American Business Resource Group (BRG), a new unit tasked with increasing awareness and education about diseases that affect the black community disproportionately. It's a commendable effort, and much needed.

On Friday I'll be in Columbus, Ohio, attending my first meeting as a member of the Patient Leadership Committee for the Renal Network, Inc., a position I was proud to accept after that organization honored me with its Robert Felter Memorial Award last year.

My first day with any new group scares up memories of my first day in high school, college, or any new job. Please, Lord, don't let me say or do anything stupid.

Oh, but Sunday! Sunday, that should be my funday. That's the morning I will join more than 1,500 fellow kidney disease conquerors and the people who love them on the Soldier Field Great Lawn to participate in the 13th Annual Gift of Life Walk, Run and Roll along the shores of Lake Michigan.

It's especially poignant for me because little more than three years ago, due to the gout in both feet brought on by my kidney disease, I could barely walk or stand without assistance. Sunday, I'm looking forward to tackling the whole Gift of Life route with long, purposeful strides. Hallelujah!

The National Kidney Foundation of Illinois (NKFI), which stages the free event, has asked me to say a few words before the walkers, runners and rollers hit the streets. I'm excited to do so, although I know I'm almost certain to be upstaged: The speakers also will include an adorable 4-year-old named Izabelle Cary, who was born with only one kidney and has had to undergo dialysis most of her life.

I learned it from my years in the newspaper business: put a cute kid or a fuzzy puppy on the front page, and that's all anybody's going to talk about!

Hey, I'm not afraid of a little (no pun intended) competition! I'm showing up at 9 a.m. regardless! If you're in the Chicagoland area Sunday, you should join us. NKFI is a marvelous organization, and all funds raised will go to programs designed to prevent kidney disease and make life better for the individuals and families already affected by it.

You can pre-register or help raise funds at the website, www.firstgiving.com/nkfi, or contact the beautiful Devon Albert, NKFI's special events coordinator, for more information at (312) 321-1500.

Hope to see you there. Kid Kidney rides again! Hi-Yo, Cheyenne! Awaaay!

2 comments:

JMac said...

We're so excited to have you, Jim! This will be a record year in terms of walkers, and we're grateful to have such wonderful advocates for kidney disease prevention and organ donation on our side!

Jessica MacLean
Organ Donation and Transplantation Education Associate
National Kidney Foundation of Illinois

chinese medicine,kidney disease said...

There are new treatment for kidney failure without dialysis and kidney transplant.