Friday, December 17, 2010

Who You Callin' Ugly?

The Decatur Ad Club, which I joined last year to increase my local business connections and get out of the basement occasionally, held its first "Ugly Sweater Christmas Party" this week. Because I wanted to be perceived as a participating member of my new group and share in the holiday spirit, I decided not only to attend, but to jump into the competition with both feet. Or sleeves.

I rummaged through three local thrift shops looking for potential knitted nightmares, but came up empty. (I subsequently learned that Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties have become such the rage that you need to start shopping for appropriate garments around Labor Day or pay outrageous last-minute desperation prices to online merchants. To my surprise, my dear friend Laura Foti Cohen has a Web site/blog devoted to ugly Yuletide sweaters and similar follies at hellishholidays.com.)

I shared my disappointment with The Wife upon returning home, and probably shouldn't have been surprised by her response. "Oh, honey, you don't need to go shopping for ugly sweaters," Karen cooed. "You already have at least one great candidate in your closet."

(As infuriating as it is to have your wife call out anything in your wardrobe as hideous, men take note: women will almost always think any clothes you bought without her guidance or held over from previous relationships are pitiful and offensive.)

She dashed into the closet and hauled out my "rainbow sweater," a multi-striped, hand-me-down crewneck I usually wear around the house for comfort's sake. "This is the one!" she declared, to my chagrin. Then she cheerfully set about making it even more gruesome, if that's possible.

She sewed a few old Christmas ornaments around the neck of the sweater, including a curiously effeminate little elf she said was one of her earliest childhood holiday decorations. Then, for the coup de grace, Karen attached a string of battery powered Christmas tree lights around the sweater's collar with a remote control switch that could conceal under my clothes to switch on, off or on flicker mode. (The preferred setting, of course.) I was girded for battle.

Because she'd now spent time and care in the preparation, Karen became invested. "I hope you do well, honey," she said, coupled with a facial expression that added, "Don't you dare come home without winning this thing."

The party-slash-contest was held in the library room of the Decatur Club, the city's hoity-toity downtown meeting address. I took a cautious look around the room. The competition was scattered about, and potentially formidable, but I felt confident I could compete. (Some of the challengers are pictured below.) I flipped the switch on my ring of necklace lights to "flicker."

Illinois Congressman Bobby Schilling, who was attending an affair next door, agreed to come over with two of his colleagues and serve as judge. He was wearing a Christmas tie that, had it been knitted and sprouted sleeves, easily could have given me a run for the money.

Schilling to me: "That is one damn ugly sweater."

Me to Schilling: "Thank you, Congressman. And the same to you."

Schilling and his associates conferred, votes were cast and – I WON! I WON! I received a small framed plaque that now holds a position of prominence on our mantle, a chocolate Santa (no jokes, please) that I gave to our 10-year-old, Emma, a PEZ dispenser (don't open it – collector's item, you know) and a miniature ugly sweater that supposedly doubles as a decorative bottle warmer.

Best of all, I got to feel a little bit closer to some people here in Decatur, my address now and for the foreseeable future, with the holiday spirit.

And I got to go home that night.


 I didn't think this one was particularly "ugly," just interesting. Or should I say, "festive"?

I thought this was my stiffest challenge, especially with the antler accents.

         Ladies and gennemen, THE WINNAH!

No comments: