Wednesday, February 24, 2010

'Cathy' Was Too Easy

Funny thing about a dialysis catheter: Once you get used to it, grow accustomed to the sight of a plastic tube sticking out of your belly like a garden snake and the ritual of taping it against your body every day, having one becomes second nature.

It's like having a sidekick. Or better yet, a secret weapon. Once a day I unleash it from its hidden location, attach it to a source of power and rejuvenation (in this case, the peritoneal dialysis solution), open the valve and let the healing waters surge through my body. I suppose I should shout something dramatic when the connection takes place, like Billy Batson yelling "Shazam!" when he transformed into Captain Marvel. I can hear it now: "Time... to...DIALYZE!"

So one night at the dinner table, the girls, Emma and Madison, suggest we give it a name. (How do these mealtime conversations start, anyway?) We do some preliminary brainstorming. "Cathy the Catheter" was quickly rejected: too easy, and I didn't think my wife, Karen, would appreciate the name of another woman literally attached to me.

We tried variations of "Man Cub," Karen's pet name for me. (Long story.) Nothing clicked. Maybe some species of snake? I was partial to "Black Mamba" myself, but was fearful of being mistaken for Kobe Bryant.

Several other proposals failed to produce that "Aha!" moment, so I took the request to the people. That is, the 500 or so people who are brave enough to admit to being my friends on my Facebook page.

I received more than a dozen excellent name suggestions – many of which I cannot repeat here in polite company – but one stood out from the rest. Because of my many years as a television critic (a function I still perform for The Metro Times in Detroit; you can read a column here), and because a catheter is such a personal, individual device, it was voted that its name should be:

YouTube.

So YouTube it will be, now and henceforth. I'm expecting a call from the attorneys any day now. I guess you could call it "cath-arsis."

Or not.

No comments: