Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wanna See My Scar?

Well, you can't. I haven't even seen it yet, and probably won't for at least a couple of weeks.

Here's what we all can see, the surgical dressing placed tightly over the site where my dialysis catheter was inserted, then taped down tighter than an Adam Lambert liplock. If you look hard, you can see the outline of tube that's now sticking out in the suburbs of my belly button.



The whole procedure went very well (or so I was told; I was out like a power shortage) and thank you all for your prayers and support. I could feel your encouragement.

I had to wait more than two hours in prep before finally being wheeled into the coldest operating room I can ever remember. Surgery in a meat locker; how invigorating. The delay did give me time to watch "Divorce Court" and "The People's Court," however, and allow me to extol the virtues of Xanax as a quality mood relaxer!

Dr. Neuwirth, the surgeon who implanted the catheter, said he was going to put me into "twilight" for the operation. It might as well have been "midnight." I remember remarking to him that his "third cousin," actress Bebe Neuwirth, is playing Morticia Addams opposite Nathan Lane in The Addams Family musical in Chicago through January. We chatted about that briefly; the next thing I knew I was in recovery. I love it when operations go like that!

So, like Uncle Joe, I'm a-movin' kinda slow, but I should be able to sit upright and take nourishment – especially with Thanksgiving just two days away! The tube is inside me now. The adventure continues.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Jim I wondered where you went off to! it sounds like things went well and yes one of these days you will not think about it for a whole day. Thinking about it and body image changes is normal. Than goodness you do not have to be in a clinic for dyalisis several days a week. Just give it a name (men seem to name everything else);)
Nancy

Anonymous said...

So you have a foreign part in your body. Like my hip. Bionic. Works better than the original. Except you can see yours. Yeah, I think you should name it, as your previous comment suggested. It'll be like a pet.

I hadn't checked your site for a while. Paused with this. Few words - pauses and prayers.